Sunday, March 31, 2019

Kenyan Folktales


Dr. K’Olewe’s stories were so much fun! It made me remember when I was in 1st grade the class had a guest speaker from Africa share one of her favorite stories. I cannot remember where she was from, I was only 6, but I do remember how beautiful she was. She wore a patterned orange skirt and detailed beaded anklets with a matching orange head scarf. She told us a story about a dog and cat feuding over a ham. She was so animated in her story telling much like Dr. K’Olewe. She would incorporate Swahili words in the tale as well as dancing along to the song she sang that accompanied the tale. I do not remember too many details of the tale, but I cannot forget the song: “This ham is my ham my ham. This ham is my ham my ham…” After doing a key word search, the tale is told to explain why dogs chase cats. After 14 years I still remember the song and the voice she sang it in, even though I forgot the gist of the story, the memories are still there. Down the road as my exact recollection of Dr. K’Olewe’s tales fade, I will still remember “come story come”.
Image result for why dogs chase cats folktaleAfrican folktales are different from others because traditionally they are not recorded, they are carried orally. The oral tradition allows the tales to adapt and be flexible with the teller, audience, and changing times. In addition, African tales include brief songs and call and response melodies. The tunes are hard to resist! Furthermore, African folktales are tool for explaining why things are how they are. They explain everyday happenings with a whimsical and captivating justifications. Hands down, I would rather listen to folktales than read them any day!
Image result for african storytelling

No comments:

Post a Comment